Long time gonePosted: February 26, 2012
It’s been a while since I’ve posted on this blog. Going to make an effort to get back after it. May not post every day, but hopefully every post will be interesting for one reason or another.
I have been busy over the first couple months in 2012. Here are some highlights. I’ll probably expand on some of these over the coming weeks.
- In 2012, I’ve run 22 times for 259 miles. My best weeks running were the last couple of weeks in January, with 76 and 61 miles respectively.
- I have been walking in an air cast / removable boot for the past few weeks. So I logged zero miles running from February 5th through February 25th. The good news is I was out for 8 easy miles today and felt pretty much no pain.
- In 2012, I’ve ridden 13 times for 779 miles. This has been really, really fun. I cranked up my riding in response to this little foot pain problem. This riding includes a century which was hard but fun. Lots of climbing too. Maintenance-wise, I managed to replace my chain on my own. This may not sound like much, but it’s pretty good for a guy who’s not allowed to use any power equipment inside the house.
- I joined a YMCA, mostly because I love taking the kids swimming. But now I have the opportunity to swim, deep water run and use some weights. I did this “swim and gym” session once and am looking forward to more of that.
- Since the start of 2012 I finished Those guys have all the fun: Inside the World of ESPN and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. I’m almost through Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences, and I’ve got my next books (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Blah Blah Blah: What to do when words don’t work, The Lexus and the Olive Tree: Understanding Globalization). I have a soft goal of reading 25 books in 2012, but I’d like to kick that up to 52 if possible. One of my problems here is that I have trouble just reading one at a time. I see a book that I like and pick it up. The nice thing about this year is that I’m reading a bunch of different types of book, which keeps it fun.
- I got a job. It’s a large software vendor based in California. The founder is a pretty eclectic dude who’s into boat racing and some other stuff. Real work starts again on Monday February 27th. I haven’t been this excited about work in at least 10 years. I actually had to remind myself how my alarm clock works; I haven’t used it in about 6 months.
- I am listening regularly now to the Endurance Planet Ask the Ultrarunner and Sports Nutrition podcasts. These things and the research I’ve done as a result have increased my knowledge a lot and given me a ton of ideas on workouts.
- My nutrition / eating habits still suck. I’m working on these though and have new ideas on how to deal with them.
Not to jinx anything, but the weather in New Jersey has been awesome this winter. Very manageable and great for outside workouts. We’re almost into March, so things are looking good.
So a bunch of stuff, mostly good.
I feel like I’m ready to have a good streak here.